Southern Illinois University
(618) 453-5492Send Email
, Animal Science
, Human Food and Nutrition
, Hospitality and Tourism
, and Agricultural Systems
, Plant Biology
Multidisciplinary database with citations to articles.
- Business Source Complete
This database contains full-text articles in journals, magazines, and trade publications. It also includes country, industry, and market reports. Dates of coverage vary.
- LexisNexis Academic
Company data, including company comparisons within the same industry, can be found via the “Get Company Information” box, in addition to a listing of “Key Competitors” (under “Snapshot”). Useful business-related articles can be located via the “News” tab. Limiting the search to “Business News Publications” in the Sources field will search only business-related magazines and journals. Limiting search terms to appear in the same paragraph helps to retrieve more pertinent artic
- NAICS - SIC Codes Lookup
- NAICS Concordances
Look up North American Industry Classification Codes by keywords.
- NetAdvantage (Standard & Poor's)
"NetAdvantage is a comprehensive source of business and investment information that offers online access to Standard & Poor's research-related products such as industry surveys, stock reports, corporation records, The Outlook, mutual fund reports and more."
- Newspaper Source and Regional Business News
This database, as its name implies, indexes over 70 regional journals, newspapers, and newswires, covering metropolitan and rural areas. Many of the articles are full text. This EBSCO database has similar searching capabilities (and limiting features) as Business Source Complete.
- OneView (Web version of Simmons Survey of Media and Markets (Choices 3))
This resource provides consumer information regarding brand and product usage. Customized reports, showing what products customers use and their media behavior, can be generated and downloaded. The link will take you to a page with login information (scroll down to OneView).
Find information about companies based on region and financial data.
- Wall Street Journal
"Coverage begins in 1984 and includes today’s paper. Browse by date or search by nearly 20 different categories across the time span of your choice."
Marketing and Demographics
- Best Customers: Demographics of Consumer Demand – Ref HC79.C6 R87 2005 (Reference area) – Data is listed for products and services consumers purchase or utilize, in addition to geographical indexing.
- Demographics USA: County Edition – Ref HF5415.1 D46x (Information Desk) – Data is broken down demographically and includes statistics for Effective Buying Income, retail sales, consumer expenditure information, etc. The marketing section measures market potential, marketing strategies, analyzing new product potential, etc.
- Demographics USA: ZIP edition – Ref HF5415.3 D463 (Information Desk) – Data is arranged by zip code, including basic and specific demographics. Projections are given for major categories, including population, households, and retail sales.
- Household Spending: Who Spends How Much on What – Ref HC110.C6 O34 (Temporarily shelved at Reserves Desk – 1st floor) – Household spending is listed by age, income, household type, region, education, and more.
- Lifestyle Market Analyst – Ref HF5415.33 .U6 L54 (Information Desk) – Market analysis for the U.S. population is listed geographically and demographically. As the title of this resource implies, lifestyle information is provided including interests, hobbies, and activities popular with Americans.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States – Ref HA202 A39 (Information Desk) – This resource, known for its comprehensive and authoritative summary of statistics of the United States, has an added value found with its charts and graphs. Each chart and graph cites the source of its data – usually a web site. Visit the web site if you are searching for more current or updated data. The online version can be located at: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/
- Who’s buying by age – Ref HF5415.33.U6 W45 2006x (Reference area) – Spending patterns are broken down by age group for a variety of areas, including spending on apparel, entertainment, groceries, restaurant meals, etc.
- Who's buying entertainment – Ref GV53 .W46 2006 (Reference area) – Similar to the resource listed above, this emphasizes consumer spending on entertainment, including movies and recreation.
Industry Comparisons (Norms and Ratios)
- Industry Norms and Key Business Ratios – Ref HF5681.R25 I525 (Information Desk) – Contains financial ratios for many industries, including agriculture, communication, transportation, manufacturing, and retail.
- Mergent Online – Financial information, operating data, and financial ratios are provided for over 3,000 companies. Ranking is listed by revenue, net income, yield, etc. Older print editions (Mergent's Industry Review) are available in the Reference section on the first floor (Ref HG 4961 .M68).
- RMA Annual Statement Studies – Ref HF5681 .B2R6 (Information Desk) – Contains financial ratios for many industries, including manufacturing, retailing, service, etc. Although companies are not listed, data can be utilized to compare one company’s performance in relation to the industry’s average.
- Market Share Reporter – Ref HF5415.2 .M34x (Information Desk) – Market share data is listed for companies, products, and services. This two-volume set, primarily arranged by SIC code, obtains its data from trade publications, newspapers, newsletters, government reports, etc.
- SRDS (Standard Rate and Data Service) – SRDS provides media rates and data for the advertising media from national newspapers to community publications. The library has the following SRDS publications in the Reference area (on first floor)
- Business Publication Advertising Source – Ref HF 5905.S723
- Consumer Magazine Advertising Source – Ref HF 5905.S725
- Direct Marketing List Source – Ref HF 5861.D54
- Newspaper Advertising Source – Ref HF 5905.S73
- Out of Home Advertising Source – Ref HF 5813.U6 O88
- Radio Advertising Source – Ref HF 5905.S74x
- TV & Cable Source – Ref HF 5905. S745
- The Advertising Red Books – This three volume publication provides a detailed look at the advertising industry, including information on agencies and their clients, in addition to advertisers and their products. The following titles of this set are in the Reference area (on first floor)
- Advertiser, business classifications – Ref HF 5805.S721
- Advertiser, indexes – Ref HF5805.S72
- Advertiser, agencies – Ref HF 5805.S785x
- Business: State of Illinois
This a useful site for starting and operating a business in Illinois. Under the link: “Run a Business,” there are links to registration, licensing, and information about starting a business, etc. Forms can also be downloaded at this site. According to the site, contact "DCEO's Business Information Center at 800-252-2923 or firstname.lastname@example.org."
- Facts and Figures
This State of Illinois site lists information about the number of businesses, economic summaries, relevant government regulatory agencies, etc. for many classifications of businesses.
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity provides financial assistance to businesses, agencies, and individuals. The agency is particularly focused on the provision of support to small businesses. Clicking on “Business Assistance” provides many useful links.
- Illinois MarketMaker (TM) (University of Illinois)
From the site: "The MarketMaker research tool is an interactive mapping resource for identifying target markets, developing customized census profiles and mapping food related businesses over demographic maps...The following are some of the things you can do with the MarketMaker research tool: Identify and map regions with the highest per capita consumption of fruits and vegetables. Build a customized census profile for a target market area or region of interest. Find and map food deserts. Find and map farmers markets serving ethnic neighborhoods."
- Illinois Secretary of State
The Illinois Secretary of State’s home page provides many useful links, including a link to “Business Services” where information can be found regarding corporations, limited partnerships, etc. Publications and forms can also be downloaded at this site.
- Illinois Small Business Development Center at SIUC
Includes many useful links, including sample business plans for a winery.
- Illinois Small Business Publications
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA)
Contains useful statistics pertinent to U.S. agriculture. A wealth of data can be found under the “Demographics” and "Census" links. Illinois statistics can be located at the bottom of the page via the drop-down menu: “Statistics by State.” It also includes the “Census of Agriculture
” and specialty crop censuses.
- State of Illinois Home Page
A comprehensive site for the State of Illinois. “Illinois Facts” includes a link to “Illinois Data.” Clicking on “Government” provides links to state agencies, etc. Clicking on “County Government” on the “Government” page allows searching by community and links to a county’s home page.
- The Economic Research Service (USDA)
The Economic Research Service provides economic information and research in the Department of Agriculture. “Browse by Subject” links are especially helpful.
- U.S. Census
In addition to data on populations, housing, income, etc., the “Business and Industry” link provides valuable information on the economic profiles of the U.S. There is also useful data via “Find an Area Profile with Quick Facts” (on the Census home page). Selecting “Illinois” from the drop-down menu will produce data for population, housing, and business. The site also includes the “American Fact Finder,” with community-level data.