Carbondale, Illinois History
In August, 1852, Daniel Harmon Brush, pictured right, John Asgill Conner and Dr. William Richart bought 360 acres of land along the right of way for the Illinois Central Railroad, with the intention of founding a new town. The site chosen was conveniently located between Marion and Murphysboro and between proposed railroad stations at Makanda and De Soto. Not only was the railroad the determining factor in the location of Carbondale, it was to be of great importance in the development of the town and of Southern Illinois. The first train through the town on the main line north from Cairo, on Independence Day, 1854, was the occasion for a community celebration.
By the Civil War, Carbondale had been incorporated as a village and had a population of about 1,150, most of whom were Union sympathizers. Brush, Conner and John A. Logan were among prominent Carbondale citizens who fought for the north. In all, 250 Carbondale men went to war, and 55 died. On April 29, 1866, the first Memorial Day was celebrated at Woodlawn Cemetery.
After the war, Carbondale continued to develop as a mercantile and transport center. The railroad made possible the shipping of Southern Illinois coal and fruit. By this time, Carbondale had also become an education center with the founding of Carbondale College, which later became Southern Illinois College (1866). Carbondale won the bid for the new teacher training school for the region and Southern Illinois Normal University (SINU) opened here in 1874. This gave the town a new industry, new citizens and a model school to supplement the public grade schools.
In the 1890's, SINU continued operations adding additional buildings. The Illinois Central Railroad was thriving and the town's population and commercial ventures grew. Modern conveniences contributed to the town's growth. The Carbondale Electric Company was established in 1891; in 1900, Public Water Works was built; the Carbondale Telephone Company was operating in 1903. By 1906, the town, being incorporated for 50 years, was an established commercial, industrial and education centers for the region.
By 1947 the college had obtained full university status and the name was changed to Southern Illinois University. It has since become the prime motivating force in the City's economy and, in fact, is the center of higher education and culture in all of Southern Illinois. Student enrollment increased from 2,711 in 1947 to 23,000 in 1980. The City population grew from 10,921 in 1950 to 26,414 in 1980, an increase of 140 percent. [cited from the "History of Carbondale" City of Carbdonale, Illinois, 2010]
One of the primary missions of the Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) of Morris Library is to collect, preserve, and provide research access to materials that document the regional history of southern Illinois. SCRC's manuscript, archival and rare book collections reflect this commitment and include personal and family papers, small business and organization records, and the research and writings of local historians.
Overview of the Carbondale, Illinois History Collections
This guide identifies manuscript collections and university records related to Carbondale, Illinois history and culture, along with an extensive collection of rare books and other printed material produced by Illinois authors and publishers. The collections include correspondence, diaries, manuscripts, organizational and business records, scrapbooks, research materials, photographs and films, and ephemera, as well as rare books, periodicals, pamphlets, and other printed matter. For more, visit the SCRC website.
This guide is not intended to be a complete finding aid to the collections. It provides a brief description of holdings with basic information on size, inclusive dates, types of records, and broad subject areas. More detailed descriptions of the sources listed below are available at SCRC and through I-Share, Morris Library's online catalog. I-Share contains bibliographic records for most manuscript collections held in SCRC as well as books and other printed material available at SIUC. Finding aids for these sources are also available through SCRC's website in the finding aid database ARCHON.
Please note that not all manuscript collections are housed in SCRC. Some collections are located at an off-site storage facility and must be requested in advance. In addition, some collections have access restrictions. Researchers are encouraged to contact SCRC to ensure that materials will be available. We are also happy to pull materials in advance of a research visit.