Flossing a few times a week is better than not flossing at all but not as good as flossing every day. Similarly, implementing some good data management practices is better than implementing none. The goal of this guide is to help you think about your data management practices and how they can be improved rather than to lead you to data management perfection.
The guide was created by Julie Arendt, former Science Librarian, Southern Illinois University, and is in the process of being updated by Jennifer Horton, Science Librarian (email@example.com), and Mary Taylor, Natural Sciences Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please contact Ms. Horton or Ms. Taylor if you have any comments or questions. Thank you.
Data Managent Plan Templates & Plan-Generating Tools
Requirements for U.S. Federal Grants
- NASA Earth Science: Data & Information Policy
- Examples of NASA Mission Project Data Plans are also available.
- National Endowment for the Humanities: Data Management Plans for the NEH Office of Digital Humanities Proposals and Awards
- National Science Foundation: Dissemination and Sharing of Research Results
The NSF requires a "Data Management Plan," a 2-page supplement, for grant applications. NSF units (directorates, offices, divisions, programs, etc.) may have specific requirements. However, "if guidance specific to the program is not provided, then the requirements established in Grant Proposal Guide: Chapter II.C.2.j apply. Please note that if a specific program solicitation provides guidance on preparation of data management plans, such guidance must be followed (from the home page)."
- Grant Proposal Guide: Chapter II.C.2.j
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Biological Sciences Directorate (BIO)
- Computer & Information Sciences & Engineering (CISE)
- Education & Human Resources Directorate (EHR)
- Engineering Directorate (ENG)
- Geosciences Directorate (GEO)
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate (MPS)
- Division of Astronomical Sciences
- Division of Chemistry
- Division of Materials Research
- Division of Mathematical Sciences
- Division of Physics
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Directorate (SBE)
USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture: Research Terms and Conditions (2010)
See Article 9, Part C starting on page 10.
Requirements for Journals
Check the Instructions for Authors. See the links for selected journals below.