What is Clinical Decision Making?
It's the decisions you make about the clinical care of your patients.
Many clinical decisions are based on a professional's prior clinical experience and their intuition.
But there has been a move in all the health professions towards a more standardized method of clinical decision making.
This method, called evidence-based practice, teaches you how to find and apply the most up-to-date research to the decisions you make in clinical settings.
Top Reasons to Do Your Research Before Making Clinical Decisions
- Make the best clinical decisions
- Plan and implement treatment
- Evaluate outcomes of treatment
- Stay up-to-date on new technologies
- Stay up-to-date on clinical practices
- Maintain your marketability to employers
How Will You Know What Kind of Information You Need?
Step 1: FORMULATE an answerable question
Step 2: SEARCH databases with the keywords from your question
Step 3: ASSESS the validity and usefulness of your search results
Step 4: APPLY the evidence to your patient
Southern Illinois University