GPO’s Federal Digital System (FDsys)
Morris Library is a large selective US Federal Depository Library (1932 –present), the largest in Southern Illinois. The Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) was established by Congress to ensure that the American public has access to its Government's information. Since 1813, depository libraries have safeguarded the public's right to know by collecting, organizing, maintaining, preserving, and assisting users with information from the Federal Government. As SIUC committed to equity of access and dedicated to free and unrestricted public use, the nation's nearly 1,250 depository libraries serve as one of the vital links between "We the people" and our Government.
The resource highlighted here is GPO’s Federal Digital System (FDsys).
What does FDsys provide?
FDsys provides free online access to official publications from all three branches of the Federal Government - the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the Federal Government. About 50 different collections of official Federal Government information are available now in FDsys. The collection is growing.
What are the features of FDsys?
- Access is free.
- Be assured that publications from GPO Web sites are official and authentic.
- FDsys offers authentic, digitally signed PDF documents.
- Browse by collection, Congressional committee, date, and Government author.
- Search multiple publications at once.
- Conduct complex searches.
- Narrow, sort, and filter search results.
- Access documents in multiple file formats.
- Access metadata in standard XML formats.
- Information is preserved for permanent public access.
- Utilize a searchable online help system.
Try it yourself
Go to http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/ and start your search.
For assistance with performing searches in FDsys, browsing for documents and publications in FDsys, contact the Morris Library Information Desk at 618/453-2818, read FDsys Online Help, or view the Basic Searching in FDsys (11’04’’).
(Information collected and adapted from GPO FDsys website. Anna Xiong: email@example.com. 1/8/2013)