- Chicago Defender (1910-1975)
Chicago historically black newspaper, started in 1905.
- Chicago Tribune (1849-1992)
Chicago daily newspaper, started in 1847.
- Chicago Tribune (1989-present)
- New York Times (1851 - 2013)
New York's daily newspaper, started in 1851.
- New York Times (1980 - present)
- Wall Street Journal (1889-1999)
Business-focused daily New York newspaper, started in 1889.
- Wall Street Journal (1984-present)
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers (Library of Congress)
Free online resource providing access to more 2,000 historical American newspapers.
- African-American Newspapers: the 19th Century
Includes The Christian Recorder, The Colored American/Weekly Advocate, Frederick Douglass’ Paper, Freedom’s Journal, The National Era, The North Star, Provincial Freeman, The Freedmen’s Record, The Negro Business League Herald
- Black Studies Center
Go to VIEW CONTENTS > NEWSPAPERS. Provides access to historically black newspapers, including the Atlanta Daily World, Baltimore Afro-American, Chicago Defender, Cleveland Call and Post, Daily Defender (Chicago), Los Angeles Sentinel, New York Amsterdam News, Norfolk New Journal and Guide, Philadelphia Tribune, Pittsburgh Courier.