Using InterLibrary Loan
WHAT IS INTERLIBRARY LOAN (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loan is a free service that provides access to materials that are not available through SIUC's Morris Library. All students, faculty, and staff can use it. Courtesy card holders may use it for a fee.
WHAT TYPES OF MATERIALS CAN I REQUEST?
can request any type of material through ILL and there is no limit to how many
individual requests a person may submit,
however, some items, especially audio-visual materials, may be difficult
to obtain or unavailable. Music CDs
& Movies (DVDs & Videos) are limited to 3 requests per week. Course
textbooks requests cannot be filled.
HOW LONG CAN I KEEP AN ITEM? CAN I RENEW IT?
Loan periods for items borrowed from I-Share libraries are 4 weeks. Items can be renewed 3 times. You can request renewals through your online accounts. Here’s how:
- For loans requested through I-Share, go to www.lib.siu.edu, click on My Account, and log on. Request renewals for overdue books.
- For loans requested through ILL, go to www.lib.siu.edu, click on Interlibrary Loan, and log on. Make your request one week before your item is due. Once a book is overdue, contact the ILL Staff to help you with renewals. Photocopies of articles do not need to be returned.
WILL I HAVE TO PAY FOR USING ILL?
There is no charge for SIU students and staff requesting ILLs, but you may be billed for overdue charges or lost books. Contact Interlibrary Loan at 618/453-3374 or email@example.com 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays for more information on these fees. (Note: Courtesy Card holders do have to pay a user fee on any Interlibrary Loan.)
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RECEIVE AN ILL?
ILLs generally take 7 to 10 weekdays to arrive, depending on where the item originates and the request method used. You can expect I-Share requests to arrive more quickly than Interlibrary Loans (4 to 7 days) since they generally aren’t travelling as far.
HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED WHEN THE ITEM ARRIVES?
The ILL Department sends an email to the address you provide when you create your account. It serves to notify you when your item has arrived and is available for pickup. Contact the Circulation Services to update your address. To retrieve your forgotten ILL password, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
HOW CAN I GET MORE HELP USING ILL?
- The Interlibrary Loan Request System staff is available weekdays between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 618/453-3374.
- Telephone the Information Desk staff at 618/453-2818 or IM us at “Ask A Librarian.” You’ll find it on our homepage at www.lib.siu.edu.
STEP #1 SEARCH LOCALLY
Following a protocol is an important part of using the system efficiently. Your request will run smoothly and quickly if you try to get your books from the nearest location. Check the SIU Catalog to see if the item you want is available from us here at Morris Library.
- Type www.lib.siu.edu in your browser, click on I-Share.
- Search for the item by title, author, or keyword. When you find what you’re looking for, check to see that its status is Available before you look for it on the shelf.
- You can check out your item at the Circulation Services Desk in Morris Library.
If the item you want is shelved at the McLafferty Annex, you can ask that it be brought to the Circulation Services Desk.
- Once you locate the item on I-Share, click on Request Storage Material.
- Use the copy and paste functions to fill out the appropriate form and submit it.
- Deliveries are made to the Circulation Services Desk weekdays at 10 a.m and 2 p.m.
STEP #2 EXPAND YOUR SEARCH ACROSS THE STATE
If you don’t find the item you want in I-Share, look for it online in I-Share. You’ll be simultaneously searching dozens of college and university catalogs statewide when you do.
- On the I-Share results page, enter your search with the drop down box on the right set to “All I-Share Libraries.”
- Click on a title to see if one is marked Available. Click on “Request This Item” near the bottom of the screen.
- Use your I-Share/I-Share account to log in. You can create an
account if you don’t have one already.
- On the Login screen, click, “Create New Account”
- Complete the form with both the Basic Information and the Library Borrower Profile
- Your “Borrower ID (Barcode Number):” is siu followed by your Dawg Tag number
- Note: Notices from the library will be sent to your SIU email account regardless of the email address you enter on this form.
- Note: This password ONLY applies to your account for I-Share and I-Share.
- Click on “Choose Pickup Location”
- The next screen should automatically be filled with SIUC. Click on “Request.” That’s it!
- You’ll get an email when your item arrives. Pick it up at the Circulation Desk.
NOTE: If you are taking an Off-campus Academic Program or if you’re a Distance Learning Student, go straight to Step #3 and use the Interlibrary Loan request system to obtain a journal article. For more information, visit our DISTANCE LEARNING section on the library’s website or contact Amber Burtis … firstname.lastname@example.org, 618/453-1448.
STEP #3 SEARCH THE WORLD
If your item is not available through I-Share, you have another option. Use the Interlibrary Loan System to get copies of magazine, journal, or newspaper articles that aren’t in Morris Library’s collection. Also retrieve books, audio recordings, and videos there. You’ll have access to the collections of libraries nationally and even internationally when you do.
- You’ll need some specific information about the item you want to borrow. Try typing “worldcat.org” in your browser to do a quick search.
- When you find what you’re looking for, create a new tab by pressing “Control + T” simultaneously..
- On the new tab, type the address of Morris Library’s home page in your browser … www.lib.siu.edu
- Choose Interlibrary Loan.
- Click Take Me To The Interlibrary Loan Request System.
- Login. First time users can create an account. Follow the directions on that link. Your new account is immediately ready for use.
- Click on Request a Photocopy or Request a Loan.
- Use the information you saved on the other tab to fill out this form. You can easily copy and paste it when you right click your mouse. Don’t forget to add any other notes about the request (e.g. not available in I-Share).
- Double-check your request information and click the Submit button.
- When your item arrives, an email will be sent to you. Your item will be available for pick-up at the Circulation Services Desk.