- I-Share @ Morris Library
The shared catalog of several dozen college and university libraries in Illinois. To have a book delivered from another library, click on "Request this Item." To limit a search to just things in Carbondale, limit the search to SIUC only.
Shared catalog of hundreds of libraries across the country and internationally.
- IEEE Xplore
Full-text publications back to 1988 from IEEE (originally the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) and IET (the institution of Engineering and Technology), including journals, transactions, proceedings, magazines, and standards.
- Computers & Applied Sciences Complete
Computers & Applied Sciences Complete can be used to find articles in all areas of engineering and technology. It is especially good for finding articles trade publications and popular science magazines.
- Web of Science
ISI Web of Science, an integrated Web-based platform, provides high-quality content and the tools to access, analyze, and manage research information. These tools include:Cross-product searching, Links to full text, Citation alerts, Table of contents alerts, Personal journal lists,and Personal bibliographic management.
- Academic Search Complete
Academic Search Complete searches both popular magazines and academic journals in nearly every academic subject. It includes full text of many of the articles.
- America: History and Life (on EBSCOhost)
Abstracts of articles from more than 2000 journals on the history and culture of the U.S. and Canada.
- Historical Abstracts (EBSCO)
- SocINDEX with Full Text (on EBSCOhost)
SocINDEX is an index of publications in sociology, including journal articles and books. It is a better source for looking at the current impacts of a technology than for looking at the impacts of a technology in the past.
- Black Studies Center
Black Studies Center combines the Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience, International Index of Black Periodicals (IIBP), and The Chicago Defender. It includes scholarly essays, recent periodicals, historical newspaper articles, and more.
- Women and Social Movements, Scholars Edition
- Discovering American Women's History Online
This database provides access to digital collections of primary sources (photos, letters, diaries, artifacts, etc.) that document the history of women in the United States. These diverse collections range from Ancestral Pueblo pottery to interviews with women engineers from the 1970s.
JSTOR has complete online copies of older issues of journals across many subject areas, including history and engineering.
- HeinOnline - Law Library Subscription
Includes more than 2,300 law and law related periodicals.
Primary sources can help you discover what was written about a technology as it was introduced or accepted.
- Patents give a description of how a technology works and possibly how it improved previous technologies.
- Newspapers, magazines, and editorials from the time a technology was introduced can give important information. Technologies that were controversial, had a lot of government involvement, involved major court cases, or made big impacts right away would be more likely to make it to the news when they were introduced.
- If the technology caused problems, legislative documents can show debates and laws that were passed in response to those problems.
- Advertisements from the time a technology was introduced may compare the new technology to previous technologies. Advertisements might also give you an idea of how the technology was marketed toward a particular ethnic group or gender.
- USPTO Patent Database
The U.S. Patent and Trademark office's entry page to search full text and full-image patents from the United States.
- Google Patents
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers
- LexisNexis Academic Search
- African-American Newspapers: the 19th Century
- Chicago Defender (1910-1975)
- Ethnic NewsWatch
An interdisciplinary, bilingual (English and Spanish) and comprehensive full text database of newspapers, magazines and journals from ethnic, minority and native presses. The database begins its coverage in 1960.
- Congressional (ProQuest)
Proquest Congressional is an online legislative and regulatory service. It provides indexing and abstracting for congressional hearings, prints, bills, reports and documents.
- An American Time Capsule
Collection of primary source materials from the Library of Congress dating from the seventeenth century to the present. Items in the collection include advertisements, catalogs, pamphlets, clippings, tickets, and more.
Southern Illinois University
(618) 453-2663Send Email