Introduction to Department
The Cataloging Department, a component of Information Resources Management, is responsible for cataloging, classification, subject analysis, and authority control for the collections and information resources of Morris Library. Staff members are responsible for the bibliographic integrity and consistency of information. As a member of CARLI, we are part of a shared cataloging environment and bibliographic maintenance activities are regulated to a certain extent by consortial agreements. The Cooperative Cataloging Guidelines for I-Share Databases are available at http://www.carli.illinois.edu/mem-prod/I-Share/cat/coop_cat_guidelines.html.
Database Maintenance Unit
The Database Maintenance Unit maintains the integrity of the online catalog by updating bibliographic information and through problem solving. To ensure timely processing, the unit is responsible for organizing and searching of newly received material. The unit also provides system support to improve productivity and to accommodate changes in workflow.
Cataloging Department Goals
The Cataloging Department will:
- Provide original and/or derived bibliographic records for library materials in all formats that are forwarded to us. According to established guidelines and within staffing capabilities, full bibliographic access includes:
- Accurate description and classification.
- Appropriate and adequate access points (personal, corporate, subject).
- Name and subject heading authority work.
- Rush on-demand cataloging.
- Work to improve ease of access to the library's collections.
- Collect statistics on cataloging and maintenance activities as necessary for administrative reports and planning purposes.
- Continue to review procedures and workflow for maximum productivity and efficiency.
- Pursue solutions to cataloging those materials for which we have limited or no expertise.
- Pursue solutions to retrospective conversion for materials unavailable in the online catalog.
- Utilize student help wherever possible to assist processing of current materials and for special projects.
Interim Department Head
Videos, special formats