Ask a Librarian
What is Endnote Desktop?
EndNote Desktop X7 is a citation management system. With EndNote Desktop you can:
- Save, organize, and share references.
- Create bibliographies in more than 5,000 bibliographic and journal styles.
- Save, organize, read, and annotate PDFs.
- Insert citations and full references into documents while you write.
Get EndNote Desktop
EndNote Desktop is available to current SIU Carbondale and SIU School of Medicine graduate students and faculty, including SIU School of Law students. EndNote Online (Web) is available to SIU Carbondale undergraduate students and staff. Questions about School of Medicine use may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To install EndNote Desktop on your device:
1. Follow this link to download the Site-Licensed Software Distribution form.
2. Complete the form and return it to campus IT at email@example.com or fax it to 618-453-4152.
3. After verifying your eligibility, IT will send you an email with a link that will remain valid for 3 business days to install EndNote Desktop on your device. The email will also contain installation instructions.
4. Save the license and the installer in the same directory (i.e. both on your desktop).
5. Select typical installation unless you want additional bibliographical styles, filters, and connection files.
1. Open EndNote Desktop and from the File menu select New and enter a name for your library.
2. Choose a destination for your EndNote library (My Documents is recommended) and click Save. Note: Do not save your working library to a flash drive or cloud storage (i.e. Dropbox, Sharepoint) because eventually the data will be corrupted. However, it's okay to save a back-up copy of your library to a flash drive or cloud storage.
If you have an EndNote Online (Web) account with saved citations you can easily sync it with your Desktop library. You can also sync EndNote Desktop with a Web of Science account.
1. In EndNote Desktop, click the sync button at the top of the screen. On Windows the sync button looks like this: and on a Mac like this:
2. Log-in to your EndNote or Web of Science account. You can also create a new account at this step.
3. Complete the user registration form.
4. The first time you sync, EndNote will copy all citations from each library into the other, and this might result in duplicates. To eliminate duplicates, click Find Duplicates in the References menu.
5. After you sync the first time, your sync status will appear in the Groups panel. Click it for details about the most recent sync.
6. Your EndNote Desktop and Online account are now synced. Desktop will automatically sync with Online as you make changes and vice versa. You can also manually sync at any time by clicking the sync button.
Windows XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7, & Windows 8
Mac OS X 10.6.x and later
An EndNote app is available for purchase for 3.99 from the App Store.